Thursday, August 23, 2012

Finger Lickin' Good!

Came across a recipe the other day on Pinterest, claiming to taste *just like* KFC's fried chicken.

Baked 'Fried' Chicken. 

Yummo!


But being the closet KFC lover, I found it hard to believe.... So I decided to give it a whirl. ;)
We had gotten some chicken legs SUPER on sale a while back, so what better occasion to use them up? The recipe comes from a blog called Our Life Uncommon, and the post  about it can be found here!

The only thing I changed about this recipe was that I only used legs, because that's what my family likes (and also because that's what we had in the freezer ;) )

You will need:


-Thawed Chicken 
(I used 10 chicken legs, and had some coating mix 
left over, so the recipe could make more)

-9x13 Pan
-1/2 Stick butter
-Milk
-1/2 Tsp Salt
-1 Tbsp Season All (I used Garlic Season all)
-3/4 Tsp Pepper
-1 C. Flour
-2 Tsp Paprika

Directions

Place Thawed Chicken in a bowl of milk to soak, for about 20-30 minutes
(I just put in enough milk to mostly cover them)



While they soak, mix together your salt, season all, pepper
flour, and paprika in a Gallon Ziplock Bag, or in a mixing bowl. I used a Gallon bag.

Check out my fancy Ziplock! Classy! ;)


Preheat your oven to 400 Degrees before you begin the coating process
Cut your 1/2 stick of butter into several pieces, and place them in your pan.
Then place the pan in your preheating oven to melt the butter!

I'm *melllltttiiinnnngggggg*!!!

When you butter is melted, snag the pan out of the oven, and make sure the whole bottom of the pan is coated. You don't want your delicious chicken to stick!!!

Alright. Keep your pan handy, grab you ziplock, and your bowl of milky chicken.
(Regretfully, I don't have any pictures of this process as my professional photographer/hubby was working else where this particular evening!) 

As you pull each piece of chicken out of the milk, shake off the excess, than place into your ziplock or mixing bowl, and cover it entirely in  the coating.  I did two pieces at a time in my ziplock, then placed them in the pan. 

Once all your chicken is coated, place it in your 400* oven and set your timer for 20 minutes.



When the timer goes off, turn your chicken and place it back in the oven for 20 more minutes. 
Check the center of one of the larger pieces to be sure that it is cooked through. 
I actually put mine back in for about 5 minutes just to be safe ;)

Let cool, and serve! I served mine with broccoli and french bread with butter.


I think the only things I would change with this recipe after making it would be to use a bit less butter in the pan, and to use just a little more coating on each piece. 
There was a LOT of butter in my pan, and I think I might just use enough to coat the bottom next time. 
Also, I think with just a little more coating, the skin could be a little cruchier, which is always good with me! ;)

Feel free to share you baked "fried" chicken recipes or tips!! 

Thanks!!

Jennifer


2 comments:

  1. You might try just warming the pan in the oven and then when you pull it out, unwrap the end of the stick of butter and just wipe the pan with it until you get it just covered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's an idea!! I may try that next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete